Caesurae International Conference 2018
Time & Location
About The Event
Etymologically translation means carrying across, and commonsensically, we assume that the carrying happens across language. But, the boundaries of a language are often coterminous with the boundaries of nation, state, culture, and community (whether imagined or real). What happens when a text crosses these boundaries is an interesting phenomenon to explore in Translation Studies and allied fields. The questions that such boundary-crossing raises are many: What happens to the text? What happens to the nation, state, culture, community into which it is translated? What happens to the language, nation, state, culture, community which allows its texts to go across? What happens to the translator, when texts are moved across borders? How do translators move? These questions have been addressed to some extent and fascinating answers are before us. Still, there are many facets of this phenomenon of moving across borders which need to be investigated and conceptualized.
In recent times, we find texts moving not only across languages, but also across mediums, genres, literary traditions both within and across languages. Novels and short stories becoming plays; plays turning into short stories; films/videos reincarnating as remakes, dubbed versions or with subtitles; multi-lingual texts and multi-medial texts are all around us today. In the last decade or so, we have also witnessed a shift in interest from time (History) towards space (Geography) and interesting work has been published in the area of Translation and Cities. We are hoping that this conference will bring together scholars working in these areas to further our knowledge of the field. Following is an indicative list of rubrics under which abstracts are invited:
- Translation and Space
- Translation and Cities
- Translation and Borders
- Translation and Places
- Translation as Crossing Genres
- Audio-video Texts in Translation
- Authors in Translation
- Genres in Translation
- Function of Translation in Source and / or Target Culture
- Translational Spaces
- Translational Relations Between Languages, Cultures,
- Texts Conference dates: 9-11 Oct 2018.
- Conference venue: Maulana Azad National Urdu University (MANUU), Hyderabad.
- Last date for receiving Abstracts: 8 Sep 2018.
- Email for sending Abstracts: <email@example.com>
- Date of Intimation of Acceptance of Abstracts: 15 Sep 2018.
- Publication: Selected papers from the Conference will be considered for publication in future editions of our UGC-approved multi-media e-Journal Caesurae: Poetics of Cultural Translation .
- Workshops, Exhibitions and Cultural programmes : Along with the academic sessions of the Conference, a host of cultural events, including Art and Music Workshops by leading artists and musicians, Exhibitions and Cultural programmes will be held. (Updates at: <www.caesurae.org>)
- Registration Fees with Accommodation: Rs. 3500 for Indian / 200 $ for overseas participants (Registration fees will cover accommodation on twin-sharing basis at MANUU Guest House; breakfast, lunch, refreshments on Conference days. Conference kit and access to Exhibitions and Cultural programmes)
- Without Accommodation: Rs. 1500 for Indian / 150 $ for overseas participants (Registration fees will cover working lunch and refreshments on Conference days, Conference kit, and access to Exhibitions and Cultural programmes).
- Separate fees (to be notified later) will be charged for the Art and Music Workshops (Participants who wish to attend only the Workshops without attending the Conference can pay the fees for the Workshop/s, along with the Caesurae Membership fees [see below], and have access also to the Exhibitions and Cultural Programmes).
- Membership Fees : All those who wish to participate in the II Annual International Conference of Caesurae Collective Society are required to pay the membership fees of Caesurae Collective Society :
- Life Membership: Rs 5000
- Annual Membership: Rs 500 (renewable on 1 April every year)
- How to pay Registration fee and Membership fee: Please email <firstname.lastname@example.org> for details.